Boise City municipal offices up for grabs

Candidates for municpal offices in Cimarron County may file beginning at 8 a.m. , Feb. 5. The filing period will end at 5 p.m. , Wednesday, Feb. 7.

Declarations of candidacy will be accepted at the Cimarron County Election Board Office in the Courthouse basement.

Boise City Wards I and II, both four-year terms to expire in 2011 are on the April 3 ballott.

Currently, Ward I is represented by Ron Carey, and Ward II by Leroy Randolph.

The April 3 election will be a nonpartisan general election.

School election absentee voters should apply

Voters in Cimarron County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the annual school election should apply now, according to Election Board Secretary Vicki Turner.

Although the board can accept applications until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 7, Turner advises them to apply early. Forms are available at the Election Board Offices in the Cimarron County Courthouse.

To vote by mail, and for the vote to be counted, two transactions must take place. The election board must mail the ballots to the voter and they must be returned by mail no later than 7 p.m. on election day.

Any registered voter may vote by mail in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote; no reason or excuse is needed, though the law provides several of them. However, by stating some accepted reasons some special conditions can be activated.

F Voters who are physically incapacitated and those who care for them may vote by mail. They must apply by mail, fax, or telegraph.

F Voters confined in nursing homes within the county. An absentee board will go to the nursing home prior to election day to set up an election polling place. They must apply by mail or fax.

F Military personnel and individuals living overseas, and their spouses and dependents. They must apply by mail or fax, and military peronnel should contact their voting service officers. Residents living overseas can obtain materials from any U.S. military installation, embassy or consulate.