2007 will bring change to The Boise City News
County's news source is once again a locally owned business
by C.F. David
With the arrival of 2007, The Boise City News will once again be a locally owned business.
Editor C.F. David, and his wife and Office Manager Linda have purchased the paper from Gene Cauley, of Little Rock , Ark. Cauley has been an absentee owner since he purchased the paper in 2002 from Jim and Deb Rosebery.
David, the former editor of The Moore County News-Press, in Dumas, Texas returned to take the editorship in 2002. Linda took the reins of the office in 2005.
New owners ask for community input
While the David's have had autonomy while managing the paper for Cauley, they have more plans to be gradually implemented. They also ask that the community send suggestions of what they'd like to see in their paper.
The paper, having a small staff, does the best it can to cover the five schools in its area, (Yarbrough, Keyes, Plainview , Boise City and Felt). More help is needed from faculties, students and parents. Any pictures, and text are appreciated. Principals from Boise City and Felt write columns, administrators from Keyes, Yarbrough and Plainview are invited to do so as well.
The Boise City News has a long and storied history with Cimarron County , and the Davids would like to continue and improve on that connection.
In 2007, Oklahoma 's Centennial year and the 109th birthday of The Boise City News, the paper will run excerpts from the county's past using books compiled by Alma Cryer, and histories compiled by Norma Gene Young. What follows is from Young's “The Tracks We Followed” it capsulates the history of the 109 years of The Boise City News.
The oldest, continuously operated business institution in Cimarron County is “The Boise City News” established as The Cimarron News at the close of the Spanish-American War by L. A. Wikoff at Kenton. The first issue was published Aug. 11, 1898 .
The News was published in Kenton for almost 12 years as a four-page six-column weekly, with half the front page in advertisements.
In March, 1910, when Boise City as the county seat became the center of activity in the county, Wikoff sold the paper to Roscoe C. Thomas and W. T. Cleeton who moved the plant to Boise City . It was housed in a frame building that had formerly been the office of the Cimarron Citizen, a newspaper in the town of Cimarron and had been moved to the location where the Crystal Hotel now stands.
In June of that year Cleeton, who was running for state senator, sold his interest to Thomas.
Jack Q. Denny published the Boise City Tribune here for about a year, and on June 6, 1911 , Thomas bought him out and combined the two publications,
Thomas erected a new adobe and stucco shop in 1919, at the corner of East Main and South Logan Avenue , which housed the plant until 1938, when it was dismantled to make way for the building occupied for many years by Cox Farm Equipment (now Sanders Town and Country).
S.M. Konkel and F.J. Graves, who had published the Springfield Herald-Democrat, ( Colorado ) bought out Thomas in March, 1920. They kept it until April, 1921, when Harry Kesler of Campo, Colo. bought them out, and in the same week sold a half interest to V. H. Shumway, also of Campo. Shumway sold his interest in the paper to Jean S. Miller in March, 1922. Miller had been associated at one time with F.M. McKinney in The Hurley Leader. Miller sold his interest to Kesler in March, 1923.
Roy Butterbaugh of Texhoma, and his half-brother, Fred R. Kreiger of Guymon, bought the paper February 15, 1926 . Kreiger sold his interest in the firm to Butterbaugh in November of that year.
The name of the paper was changed to The Boise City News with the July 25,1930 , issue.
In December, 1938, Butterbaugh bought the former Hemphill Furniture building in the second block West Main Street and moved there from the adobe structure. The paper is still housed in that location, but has been expanded to twice its original size.
Some of the longtime employees involved in the publication of the paper down through the years who will be remembered are: Glen Haskins, Earl J. Cosgrove, Allison Chandler, Everett J. Kell, Orville (Hippie) Bennett, Madge Cummins, Moulton Hawes, Joy Wells, Warren (Tootie) Harville, E. J. Tallant, Lawrence Grubb, Charles Dodd, Patsy Stevenson, Mary Chapman, Bob Riddle, Leon Hobbs, Kay Peck, and A. B. Fincher for many years. Fincher operated the paper under lease in 1935 with Allison Chandler, and again in 1947 with his wife, Rae.
In February, 1966, Butterbaugh retired from The Boise City News after 40 years, and turned over its operation to his daughter, Norma Gene, and his son-in-law, Robert Young, who had been associated with the business for 20 years.
Deb and Jim Rosebery, with their two young daughters, Erica and Rachel, moved from Guymon to Boise City in June, 1981, to work for the Youngs. Their son, Matthew, was born the following year, and they purchased the newspaper and building in October, 1983.
They sold it to Cauley in 2002, and Cauley hired David.