Texas/Cimarron Counties Retired Educators
The Texas/Cimarron Counties Retired Educators met at the Adams Clubhouse for their October meeting. Nancy Jewell, the Northwest District Director was the guest speaker.
President Doris Looper presided. There were 26 members and guests present.
Five hundred ten dollars was donated by the members present for the OPSU scholarship fund.
Jean Mee was selected by the membership to represent them as their Very Importment Member at the state OREA meeting in the spring.
Nancy Jewell, NW District OREA Director, presented the program. She stressed membership and keeping the channels of communication open, She has developed a newsletter and asked for e-mail addresses.
Mrs. Jewell announced the 2007 Legislative goals that were adopted by the OREA Executive Board:
1. OREA will work with the Legislature to improve health insurance premiun support for ALL education retirees.
2. OREA will seek legislation authorizing a 5% adjustment of benefits for all retirees who have completed 20 years of service and are drawing $2000.00 or less in benefits per month.
3. OREA will seek legislation authorizing a 4% COLA.
4. OREA seeks legislation that will enable OTRS to adequately fund education retiree benefits at an acceptable level over a 30 year period.
5. OREA will oppose any effort to transform the OTRS system from a Defined Benefit (DB) to a Defined Contribution (DC) system.
6. OREA will resist any effort to reduce the revenue base of the State of Oklahoma .
7. OREA will seek legislation authorizing OREA to receive from OTRS the addresses of education retirees and persons applying for retirement. Mrs. Jewell urged members to be in touch with their legislators - to stay active and keep involved.
The next regular meeting with be at Hunny's at 11:30 a.m. on November 1st. The program , “All in the Cards”, will be given by Alma Wageneseller.
ALL retired educators in Texas and Cimarron counties are welcome.
Members attending the October meeting of TCCREA from Guymon were: Imogene Glover, Esther and Paul Evins, Betty Reust and Joe and Margie Lane .
Members present from Goodwell were: Moylene and Johnnie Davis, Doris and Lloyd Looper, Jean Mee, Rita Strain, Chris Begley, Samuel Nelson, and Peggy and Lester Miller. .Members from Hooker: Lucille Cavis and Berdine Rawlins.
From Adams : Dee Farmer and Janice Colvin.
Shirley Cannon from Optima; and Helen Moore, Boise City .
Guests were: Nancy Jewell, Enid; Joy Dennis; Johnnie Johnson, Guymon; and Leon Farmer, Adams .
Boise City News