Absentee voters should apply for ballots

Voters in Cimarron County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the General Election should apply now, County Election Board Secretary Vicki Turner said today. Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November 1, 2006 , Turner urged voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early. Application forms are available at the County Election Board office located in the basement of the courthouse.

“At least two mail transactions must be made,” Turner said. “The County Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail.” Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election Board by 7 p.m. on election day in order to be counted.

Turner said that any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is eligible to vote.

It isn't necessary to give any reason for voting absentee but, the law provides several reasons that will make voting absentee easier.

F Voters who are physically incapacitated or those who care for the physically incapacitated may vote absentee. They may apply by mail, fax or telegraph.

F Voters confined to nursing homes in the county. A voting board will go to the nursing home prior to the election. They may apply by phone or fax.

F Military personnel and residents living overseas and their spouses and defendants of a legal voting age are eligible to vote without being registered. They may apply by mail or fax. Military personnel should contact their voting service officers. Residents of Oklahoma living overseas may obtain materials from any military installation, Embassy or Consulate.

Boise City News
P.O. Box 278
105 W. Main Street
Boise City, Oklahoma 73933-0278
Phone: 580 544-2222
Fax: 580 544-3281
site maintained by Wildsteps.com, Inc.